Ahoy, The Ships Are Coming !
See our flotilla arrive on Friday 9th June. Ships will muster at the mouth of the Boyne (viewing point Maiden Tower, Mornington) and at 11.30am and commence a parade of sail arriving in Drogheda at 12.00noon (viewing point Donor’s Green, North Strand). Ships are open to festival-goers on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th June from 11.30am to 3.30pm. Ships will depart Drogheda on the tide early on Monday morning, 12th June.
The Irish Maritime Festival 2017…our visiting ships:
THE FRIGATE SHTANDART
The frigate Shtandart (Russian: Штандартъ) was the first ship of Russia’s Baltic fleet. Her keel was laid on April 24, 1703 at the Olonetsky shipyard near Olonets by the decree of Tsar Peter I and orders issued by Commander Aleksandra Menshikov. The vessel was built by the Dutch shipwright Vybe Gerens under the direct supervision of the tsar. She was the first flagship of the Imperial Russian Navy and was in service until 1727. The name Shtandart was also given to the royal yachts of the tsars until the Russian Revolution in 1917. Tsar Nicholas II’s royal yacht was last of this series.
The modern Frigate Shtandart is the exact replica of the man-of-war built by Peter the Great in 1703 in order to defend Saint Petersburg. Modern Shtandart was built in 1999 is a functional training tallship. The original crew complement in 1703 was between 120 and 150, and the modern crew consists of 30 trainees and 10 officers. The recreation of the modern frigate Shtandart is a story of realising a dream, a symbol of determination and total commitment to one’s goal. Rebuilding the replica of Peter the Great’s famous ship became possible because of the energy and the spirit of the young generation. It is proof that nothing is ever impossible if you are prepared to act.
Nowadays everyone can meet with this living history vessel – it truly is a wonderful experience.
THE EARL OF PEMBROKE
Earl of Pembroke was built in Pukavik, Sweden as “Orion” in 1945. The ship was used to haul timber in the Baltic Sea until 1974, when she was laid up in Thisted, Denmark. She was brought over to the UK in 1980 and the full restoration began in 1985. As part of the restoration, the rig was changed from the original Schooner to her current Barque type, and she was renamed “The Earl of Pembroke”.
Her three masted rig and the interrupted decks create a beautiful and unforgettable silhouette of a classic sailing ship. The current rig has been designed and built to resemble the famous HMS Endeavour on board of which Captain Cook discovered Australia. It is known that the Endeavour used to be called ‘Earl of Pembroke’ in the days when she worked as a coal trader in the West Country. She is a truly magnificent vessel built as a real, working wooden sailing boat and maintained in that way to preserve her natural character and beauty.
The Earl of Pembroke is the star of many TV and films includung Shipwrecked, Treasure Island, Alice in Wonderland, Count of Monte Cristo, Longitude and many more.
One of the world’s most famous Tall Ships, “The Phoenix”, will return once again to Drogheda for the Irish Maritime Festival. The 112 foot long twin masted Brigantine which carries 4,000 square feet of sail, will be instantly recognisable to film goers due to the role it played in the Ridley Scott film “1492: Conquest of Paradise”. In the movie “The Phoenix” was converted into a 15th century caravel to accurately replicate Columbus’s flagship “The Sancta Maria” and the conditions its sailors experienced on their historic voyage of discovery.
Back by popular demand, “The Phoenix” has an extremely interesting maritime history having been built in Denmark in 1929 to serve as a Danish Evangelical Mission Schooner. She was involved in this mission work travelling from port to port carrying evangelical missionaries for 20 years before being retired in 1949.
Sail in the wake of the Vikings, the Normans, the Monastic settlers, Cromwell’s Fleet and of course, the Wild Native Irish in the ship named after the legendary High King of Munster and Ireland, Brian Ború.
This traditional gaff rigged wooden sailing ketch (ship) has been specifically adapted for carrying passengers on voyages of discovery of heritage and wildlife. This ship is stationed in the Waterford River estuary, where the three sister rivers (Nore, Suir, & Barrow) meet the sea, and sails primarily along the coast of Ireland’s Ancient East. The ship is often used as a vessel for observing and learning about the heritage, culture, wildlife and conservation of the marine environment of the Waterford estuary whose river basins touch many counties in Ireland. The vessel carries 12 passengers and 2/3 full time crew.
It was originally designed and built in Denmark to harvest the rich waters of the Baltic Sea. She retired from service in the 1970s and became a charter boat before being converted into this majestic schooner you see today. She carries 7 sails and will lick along at a very respectable pace of 12 knots in a brisk wind, her 60 tonne frame and blunt features parting the swell with effortless strength and style.
A favourite with all ages, the crew of the Soteria are delighted to return to Drogheda once again for The Irish Maritime Festival.
MOTOR TUG BROCKLEBANK
The Brocklebank was built and launched in 1964 and completed in February 1965, as one of a class of three (Langton, Brocklebank & Egerton) ordered by the Alexandra Towing Company Ltd. of Liverpool, by W.J. Yarwood & Sons of Northwich.
The Alexandra Towing Company served in all the major UK ports, but the Brocklebank was based in Liverpool throughout her working life, which lasted from 1965 to 1988. She served as a ship handling tug during the 1960’s and 70’s and aspects of her varied career included assisting cargo ships, passenger liners and Naval vessels to their berths, with occasional duties at Heysham, Larne and Barrow for ship launches: later she was given the task of towing barges loaded with stone from Dinmor Quarry on Anglesey for the building of the present Royal Seaforth docks in Liverpool.
The greatest honour for the Brocklebank was to escort the Royal Yacht Britannia into Liverpool when her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip visited to review the Tall Ships in 1984.
The Brocklebank was acquired by the Liverpool Maritime Museum in 1989, and resides at the Albert Dock, Liverpool where she is maintained by members of the Wincham Preservation Society, an enthusiastic group of Volunteers, all of whom have an interest in ships and the sea and many of whom had or still have an active interest in the functioning of the port of Liverpool.
Built in Gdansk, Poland, the ship was converted into a brigantine by the Dutch designer Olivier van Meer in 1992, and, named ‘Willem’, enjoyed a career in the charter business at the Baltic Sea, carrying sailing guests, taking part in match races and participating in many sailing ship events.
In 2010 it was sold to a French owner and re-named ‘La Malouine’. It took Roy Kerr three years to buy her and bring her to Scotland. Tall and elegant, the brigantine triggers romantic childhood dreams of exploration and adventures.
Roy Kerr, captain of the ship, and his crew will be on hand to show you the beautiful features of this ship and tell tales of their sea-faring adventures!
Ships in recent years…
In recent years we welcomed Tall & Classic Sailing Vessels, Viking Long Boats, Historic Lifeboats, Custom and Fishery Cutters to Drogheda Port as part of festival …
Photographs by Shane Maguire Photography (email@example.com) and Vaidotas Maneikis (firstname.lastname@example.org)